Why this matters
Rhode Island was one of the first states to legalize medical cannabis for patients with health issues. Unfortunately, because of high costs and other state-imposed restrictions, patients are struggling to access it.
Here are some of the main ways H 7621/S 2544 would improve access:
- Offering a 30 percent discount on medical cannabis for eligible low-income patients (those who receive Supplemental Security Income, Social Security Disability Insurance, or Medicaid).
- Reducing the business license for establishing a medical dispensary from $500,000 to $5,000
- Removing the cap on the number of medical dispensaries allowed in the state
- Eliminating the tax on medical cannabis grown for personal use
- Allowing physicians and nurse practitioners to recommend medical cannabis
- Prohibiting government agencies from discriminating against a person based on their status as a medical cannabis patient
Contact your state legislators
Join our letter-writing campaign asking your state legislators to support this legislation! It takes just a few minutes to customize our template letter.