Examples of complementary and integrative therapies include acupuncture, massage, cognitive behavioral therapy, biofeedback and much more. Complementary and integrative therapies may have fewer side effects and long-term risks than other conventional treatment options.
Insurers typically don’t cover the costs of complementary and integrative therapies, forcing patients to pay out of pocket or forego treatments that would be otherwise beneficial.
Our position: Support
U.S. Pain Foundation supports integrative and complementary therapy as a valuable addition to the conventional chronic pain management plan. They should be both accessible and affordable to patients who would benefit from them. Read our full position statement here.
Examples of U.S. Pain’s efforts
Examples of complementary and integrative therapies include acupuncture, massage, cognitive behavioral therapy, and biofeedback.
- Your advocacy made a difference in CMS’s recent decision!
- Yoga for chronic pain: An interactive class and Q&A
- Interim CEO a keynote speaker at American Massage Therapy Association convention
- Calling all creatives! Take part in our KNOWvember campaign: #ArtThroughPain
- U.S. Pain Foundation submits comments to CMS RFI
- Now through Thursday: Win an Enso device ($250 value)
- Have you tried kinesiology tape?
- Enter by Friday to win a Quell 2.0 device!
- Introducing our Pain Awareness Month 2019 sponsor, Thrive Tape
- Encourage CMS to cover acupuncture
- Tiny needles, big relief
- Take our survey and be entered to win an Amazon gift card!
- Holistic approaches to chronic pain
- Managing fibromyalgia in children
- Take action to thank Delaware’s Governor for progressive pain legislation
- U.S. Pain Foundation awarded project grant from Massage Therapy Foundation
- States beginning to support reimbursement for alternative care
- Complementary and Alternative Medicines for Migraine
- “How to get the most out of massage” webinar rescheduled for April 12
- How to get the most out of massage for chronic pain
- Rhode Island embraces chiropractic care to curb substance abuse
- Five KNOWvember educational webinar recordings available
- Learn about complementary medicine this KNOWvember
- Medical cannabis webinar recording available
- U.S. Pain announces theme for KNOWvember campaign
- “Integrative Military Medicine” video – U.S. Pain Foundation & American Academy of Pain Medicine
- “Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM)” – The American Chronic Pain Association
- “Pain” – National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health