Medical cannabis has well-documented analgesic properties that make it an effective medicine to treat many cases of chronic pain. It is an especially important option for patients for have found traditional pain relief options ineffective, and it may have fewer side effects and risks than some traditional medications.
A total of 33 states, plus the District of Columbia, Guam and Puerto Rico, have medical marijuana and cannabis programs, but it may only be available to certain, highly specific patient populations, not necessarily all those who have chronic pain.
Our position: Support
We believe people with chronic illness and pain should have access to all safe, effective treatments, including medical cannabis. Read our full position statement here.
Even The New England Journal of Medicine endorses medical marijuana for the treatment of severe chronic pain.
Examples of U.S. Pain’s efforts
- Looking to try CBD? Read this first
- Advocacy round-up
- U.S. Pain joins CBD coalition
- Good news for patients in Lousiana
- Chronic pain approved as qualifying condition for cannabis in Connecticut
- Tips: medical marijuana during the pandemic
- RI: Take action to increase affordability of medical cannabis
- Kentucky: Two bills to take action on!
- 2020 state pain policy trends round-up
- Hearing on medical cannabis important progress; take action to ask for second hearing
- Want to encourage medical cannabis research at the federal level?
- U.S. Pain staff member publishes op-ed on cannabis for pain
- Clearing up 12 common myths about medical cannabis for pain
- Midterm elections see increased access to medical cannabis
- Cannabis continues to grow backing among lawmakers
- Clinical research shows cannabis relieves pain…so why is access so limited?
- California considers medical cannabis research program
- Medical Cannabis in a Balkanized Legal Landscape
- ASA names U.S Pain “End Pain, Not Lives” Champion of the Year
- U.S. Pain devotes latest INvisible Project to medical cannabis patient stories
- Medical cannabis INvisible Project released
- Access to medical cannabis continues to expand across the country
- Advocate for medical cannabis in your state with a few clicks
- Take action now to fight for medical cannabis access
- Five KNOWvember educational webinar recordings available
- Medical cannabis webinar recording available
- U.S. Pain announces theme for KNOWvember campaign
- September volunteer webinar features medical cannabis expert
- Take action on medical cannabis access
- Lenox Smith speaks at largest medical cannabis conference
- NY approves medicinal marijuana for chronic pain
- “Dr. Sanjay Gupta: It’s time for a medical marijuana revolution” – CNN
- “Medical Marijuana” – Drug Policy Alliance
- “FDA and marijuana” – U.S. Food and Drug Administration