COVID-19 INFORMATION CENTER
COVID-19 & PAIN WEBINARS
Based on feedback from our community, we are coordinating with experts to provide webinars on a range of topics relating to COVID-19 and pain.
Events so far include:
- Understanding the COVID-19 vaccine, with Edward Bilsky, PhD, Julie Randolph-Habecker, PhD, and Kimberly Taylor, PhD
- Pain relief at home: Tips and techniques with Peter Abaci, MD
- Pain care during COVID: A Q&A about telehealth with Jeffrey Fudin, PharmD
- Finding balance during crisis: Tips from a pain psychologist with Shamin Ladhani, PsyD
- Chronic pain and COVID-19: Navigating uncharted waters with Ed Bilsky, PhD, and Meghan May, PhD
How COVID-19 is affecting pain care
In order to better understand the challenges the pain community is facing and find ways to help, U.S. Pain Foundation recently conducted a survey of 664 individuals with pain about the impact of COVID-19.
The data, published in an April 2020 report, highlights several concerning trends.
- 77.4% said they were experiencing barriers to medical care
- 63.8% said they were experiencing increased pain
- 56.1% said they didn’t understand their insurer’s telehealth coverage policies
How U.S. Pain is responding to COVID-19
- For the safety of our community, we have postponed all in-person events.
- In April 2020, when the pandemic first hit, we conducted a survey on how COVID-19 has impacted pain warriors, publicized the results, and launched an advocacy campaign to ask policymakers to do more to protect patients. See the results.
- We have ramped up our online education and support program, including:
- Launching a Pediatric Pain Warrior Virtual Retreat, which is providing free, weekly event for kids with pain and their families. Register here.
- Kicking off “Building Your Toolbox,” an interactive videoconference series under the auspices of our support group network, Pain Connection. Register here.
- Increasing communications about our five monthly call-in support group offerings. Register here.
- Providing COVID-19-related education and content as needed, including webinars on: COVID-19 as a disease and two webinars on managing stress during the pandemic. We are also working on telehealth education and resources. See upcoming events.